CHILDREN WITH COMPLEX MEDICAL NEEDS
CHILDREN WITH MEDICAL COMPLEXITIES
Rehab Professionals could include an Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Speech and Language Therapist, Dietitian and/or a Social Worker as part of your care team. These professionals provide a thorough assessment of your child’s needs and determine the best plan for them, such as:
- Encouraging safe movement at home by suggesting modifications to the environment to maximize safety and participation.
- Providing activities and/or exercises to encourage crawling, rolling, walking, etc to improve developmental skills
- Helping with feeding by providing consultation on your child’s nutritional needs and addressing swallowing difficulties or food aversions.
- Improving talking and communicating through consultation and treatment for speech and language issues.
- Helping access community resources and assisting with the completion of funding and program applications as needed.
- Improving functional skills through activities or recommendations that help with dressing, playing, printing, writing and keyboarding.
- Sensory strategies to improve your child’s ability to engage in meaningful activity may also be provided.
- Consultations in schools and with school personnel to enable your child to participate safely in all school activities as they are able. Home programs may be provided as needed. A copy of written recommendations will be given to the school.